Title is self explanatory. Pets? Items at the beach?
Neighbors: The Parks Committee has worked for a year and a half to come up with a budget and plan that meets the maintenance needs at the beach and that answers the concerns of our neighbors.
We have reduced the annual fee significantly from what we had originally envisioned: to $50 per year per household per year. We have increased the pontoon fee to $450, payable in two installments.
We know there are some passionate voices in favor, some passionate voices still against, and many people who are relatively neutral. We want to hear from everyone, not just the particularly vocal voices.
We want the *DEMOCRATIC PROCESS* to prevail in terms of moving forward. Please cast your ballot on whether you will support the $50 increase in fees to support the park, or not.
THE PROCESS: The Estates will vote at our meeting on 6/25 or by Proxy for people who can’t attend the meeting. The Bluffs Association is not having a meeting. Bluffs homeowners can still vote on the Association fee increase of $50. We hope you do so either by dropping off your ballot or by stopping by the Estates meeting on 6/25 at 7:00 p.m. at the Senior Center. There are vote forms on the sign on the road and one can be brought to you by sending an email to the Parks Committee. Proxies and ballots can be dropped off at 10630 Indianola or 10727 Strawberry Hill Lane.
===== Archived message from May 21, 2013 follows =====
The Park Committee has worked very hard taking input from everyone,
getting quotes for expenses and doing many iterations of the budget. We
appreciate the many encouraging comments that helped us as we continued
in the work to keep our neighborhood beautiful.
SUMMARY: There is a new budget online. The ‘short story’ is that we’re
asking everyone to approve a $50 increase in the Association dues
targeted to our beach for deferred and ongoing maintenance reflected in
the budget. We will increase the pontoon lottery to $450, with the
option for the winners to pay part at the lottery itself, and part in
August. The pontoon slips are not at the cost of a full marina since we
do not have marina amenities (security, lights, etc.) Also, the
resolution for vote will be very specific on managing the funds
including transparency in the budget preparation and reporting on
COMPARISONS: A number of people asked what other neighborhood
associations pay. Attached is information for 28 local subdivisions.
The average is $219 a year. If the 1 most expensive and 1 of the least
expensive are excluded, the average is $185 per year. Portage Lake has
a common beach much like ours with a boat moorings, lakefront and
non-lakefront houses, and there, off-lake homes pay $225 annually and
lake-front pay $200. They don’t have a pontoon lottery. So our
proposal is *FAR* below the average Association fee, and our pontoon
owners pay more.
VOTING: The Estates Association in the neighborhood will vote tomorrow
at our Annual Meeting. The Bluffs will need to schedule a vote, so we
will ask the Bluffs board president to do so. More on that process later.
Please try to attend the meeting so we can record your vote. If you are
unable to attend, you just need to give your proxy to someone else.
The Park Committee is happy to answer any questions. (Except Jeff White
whose wife is having a baby *today*!)
Mary Eileen McLaughlin
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Park Budget, v21, June 2013 – SPREADSHEET
Strawberry Hill Estates Homeowners Association
Annual Meeting Announcement – Special Meeting
Your attendance at the annual meeting is appreciated. One-third of the members in good standing are required for a voting quorum. We were people short of a quorum for the meeting scheduled on May 21, and we are required to re-schedule it as a Special Meeting.
PLEASE ATTEND OR SIGN A PROXY.
A Proxy form is attached. If you are unable to attend, please sign
the form and send it with the person attending who is your proxy.
Subject: Special Meeting for Annual Meeting
Date: Tuesday, June 25, 2013
Time: 7:00 to approximately 8:30 p.m.
Location: Hamburg Township Senior Center
- Roll Call of the Membership and confirmation of quorum – President Dave Walmroth
- Please sign in by 7:00 PM – with Treasurer, Craig Mestach
- New Business – VP and Park Committee Representative, Mary McLaughlin
- Vote to increase annual association dues to provide targeted funding for beach deferred and future maintenance in accordance with beach budget v.21 and other documentation on website. (If you do not have web access, please notify Jeff White at 616-821-1252.) The Motion is attached and will be read at the meeting.
- Minutes of 2012 Meeting (VP and Secretary, Mary McLaughlin)
- Treasurer’s Report (Treasurer, Craig Mestach)
- Other new business as raised by the membership during the meeting.
- Election of Directors
- Craig Mestach, Mary McLaughin and David Walmroth have been nominated as Directors. If you wish to nominate another individual please contact Mary McLaughlin (734-646-5363 or firstname.lastname@example.org) 15 days in advance of the meeting to nominate someone for a directors position. Process is described at: www.strawberryhillestates.org.
Dues Reminder: Payment of 2013 dues and legal fee share (if unpaid) is due by June 1, 2013. Dues are $75.00, payable to Strawberry Hill Estates Homeowners Association. Mail to SHEHA, P.O. Box 833, Hamburg, MI 48139-0833. If you have any questions about your dues, contact Craig Mestach at 734-417-9224.
===== MOTION and PROXY VOTE documents follow =====
MOTION: The Strawberry Hill Estates Homeowners Association and the Strawberry Point Bluffs Homeowners Association dues will increase $50 annually ($4.16 per month) per household, and these funds will be targeted to the Park, payable as described in the respective Bylaws for Association dues. The dues increase is contingent upon:
- Both Associations approving the dues increase.
- Pontoon slip donation increased to $450 annually.
- The initial working budget for the park being Budget v.21, and the budget for the park will be updated annually by the Strawberry Lake Joint Parks Committee. Reporting and expenditure processes are described in the Committee’s Roles and Responsibilities which has been approved by the Boards of both Associations.
- Required legal approval (permits, etc.) will be obtained for any maintenance and/or improvements planned.
- The Parks Committee will set an operating reserve (savings) for future maintenance to be approved by the Boards of both Associations. When the current bills and operating reserve funding amounts are covered by the dues, the targeted increase in dues will not be collected from the homeowners until the budget and reserve amounts fall below a positive balance.
____ Yes, I support an increase of $50 annually
____ No, I do not support an increase of $50 annually
Strawberry Hill Estates Homeowners Association
Strawberry Point Bluffs Homeowners Association
I hereby authorize _________________________to serve as my proxy and to vote on my behalf at the Special (or re-scheduled Annual) Meeting on Tuesday June 25, 2013. I authorize my proxy for ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
____ This proxy is a GENERAL proxy for all matters voted upon at the above referred meeting.
____ This proxy is a SPECIAL proxy for only the matter of an increase in Association dues.